Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Music Hall Shadow Box Tutorial

Hello to all and welcome! I have tutorial to share today, for a shadow box made with the new Darkroom Door Music Hall Frame and a Sizzix die. The Music Hall is a lovely stamp and it made me think of a stage, which led to a shadow box.
 
I wanted to create the impression of looking into a scene. For a backdrop I used the large photo stamp from Prague Vol. 2. The Music Hall stamp made me think of a childhood photo of my mom, where she is dressed up for a special occasion together with my grandmother and a friend. I cut them out and placed them into the scene. I took some step-by-step photos as I made this.
 
I tried a few different dies to create the shadow box, and the one that worked the best was Eileen Hull's 3-D Suitcase. Die cut it from mat board, or make a shadow box from a recycled box. Measure and cut out a large enough rectangle in the front.

Ink the box with Distress Ink Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap and stamp the back and sides (also the sides on the inside) with more images, sentiments and the Sheet Music Background stamp.

Stamp the Music Hall and the photo stamp from Prague Vol. 2. on glossy cardstock with Jet Black Archival Ink. Detailed stamps look wonderful on glossy cardstock. Colour them with Distress Ink, using an ink-blending tool and a Ranger Craft Nib for the small spaces.

Add highlights with a white gel pen, which makes the scene really come to life.
 
I used a VersaMarker to apply embossing ink on the edges of the curtain. Emboss with gold powder for a great extra touch.

Trim the scene so that it fits into the suitcase. Cut out a photo or a stamped image. Use a piece of foam or cork to adhere the photo, to add dimension, so that it is not right against the background. As you can see, they are floating over the road, otherwise, too much of them were covered by the frame. Once the frame was up, it didn't look like they were floating anymore.
 
Assemble the front of the suitcase, also applying adhesive on the flap – which normally opens when you use this die to make a suitcase. Since we are making a shadow box and not a suitcase, we don’t want it to open. Glue the Music Hall Frame on top.
 
The gold embossing adds a really nice touch to the curtain. I also added three golden pearls.
 
There are also pearls where the curtain is tied.

At the back of the shadow box you could also write a message. I stamped it with a sentiment and a lamp post.
 
Thank you for looking!!
 
Happy stamping!
 
Anna-Karin
 
Supplies:
Stamps: Darkroom Door: Music Hall Frame Stamp, Sheet Music Background, Prague Vol. 2
Surfaces: Ranger Glossy Cardstock; Sizzix Little Sizzles Cream Mat Board 6 x 13
Dies: Sizzix: 3-D Suitcase Bag
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black; Distress Ink: Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Gathered Twigs, Pumice Stone, Barn Door, Fired Brick; Tsukineko VersaMarker
Embossing powder: Ranger Gold Embossing Powder
Embellishments: pearls

16 comments:

  1. Seriously stunning,I absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing it.

    Donna.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna-Karin, as always I am impressed with your ingenuity! I thought it might be that die :-) This is stunning- I love the colors and that gold really makes it pop. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a piece of art! Wow!
    Stunning, beautiful and amazing!
    Love the gold embossing and the color is amazing!
    Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Anna Karin, that stamp set is beautiful and how clever to make a shadow box, the die looks like it was made for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apologies, meant to say thank you for the tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, this is such an amazing project Anna Karin, incredible! Love it to bits and thanks for the great tutorial too. It really feels as if you can walk right into that street!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. I like how you inserted the photo into the scene. Good thinking outside of the box :-)).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is so cool!! I love it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Awesome! did I say AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME..I loved the whole scene in shadow box n the your vintage coloring Fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I love this. Pinned of course. You are so creative. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/415386765611326755/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your creations, Anna Karin. You always do such awesome artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super Anna! I love your creations and this one is awesome. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!